Monday, March 24, 2014
The server was unable to save the form at this time. Please try again - SharePoint 2013
SharePoint 2013 is always full of mysteries as it’s a starting time and most of the firms are doing the migration of their SharePoint 2010 environment to SP2013 platform. So it’s quite obvious it will take some time to make your farm stable!
If you find a different solution, please report it as a comment to this post. Be sure to double-verify it: undo your solution and verify that the problem comes back, then redo it and verify that the problem goes away.
We have recently done the migration from SP2010 -> SP2013 in our development environment and given access to limited of high profile users and developers for the testing. While doing the testing, one of the developers has reported an incident mentioning he is facing some error while editing the item. Further exploration reveals that we can’t add a new item also.
So bottom line, this error comes up while: Adding a new item in a list or at the time of editing the item
1. Tried creating different list with some different / type but same issue.
2. Checked the list in SharePoint Designer 2013 but didn’t find anything relevant.
3. Checked the site settings for any customized content type but it was using default settings
4. Checked the event viewer for any critical errors but didn’t not find anything
5. Checked the services console, did some try & error funda but that did the trick. Later I did some research on my “trial and error method” and understood the complete process via Microsoft articles (reference article –bottom of this page)
1. Go to your SharePoint Server
4. Type – services.msc
5. It will open the services console
6. Search for this service - SharePoint Search Host Controller
7. Restart it.
It fixed the issue and I was able to create new items as well as edit the existing items too.
Happy SharePoint once again!
Few suggestions if the above solution doesn’t work:-
1) IISRESET on SharePoint
2) Restart all the SharePoint Servers
3) Enable anonymous authentication for the website in IIS.
Product applies to:
a) SharePoint 2013
b) SharePoint Foundation 2013